Thursday 13 November 2014

Outside again

We were beginning to think our outside expeditions were finished - at least, until we work out how to jump down from the washing machine balcony. I keep looking and trying to judge the distance, but I don't want to get stuck somewhere. Not now I'm bigger and cleverer than I used to be.

But a couple of days ago, the humans said that perhaps it was time we did a bit more exploring. So they let us out.

Freedom!

We raced down the stairs and over the street, where there were lots of interesting toys and smells. The female human said she felt too nervous to watch so she went back up and into the house, but the male one sat on a chair outside their downstairs apartment, and sipped that hot brown stuff he calls 'coffee'.

I was a bit worried that he might come and fetch me, but hiding under a car was a bit dull, so I went inside the gate of the opposite house:


I could smell that this was a place for cats, but they were not familiar ones. I wasn't sure. Was this maybe not part of our domain? The very old cat Cleo was watching, trying to explain how far our boundaries stretch. We do listen to her, but she's getting on in years and she doesn't always understand what our generation wants. So I decided to ignore her for a while.

I came out and looked around at some of the other houses but they didn't seem as if they would be very friendly to cats.


Then I noticed that my sister Joan was being approached by a big cat. There were some older people in the territory where I had been exploring and they addressed this large cat as 'Caesar'. Caesar sniffed at Joan and then he hissed, making it very clear that this was his domain. I did think about going to protect her, but he was so big and I felt quite overwhelmed... and then she did the sensible thing. She backed away, letting him know that she was not challenging him.

She ran back over the street and up the stairs, into our own house. I decided to follow.

Then one of the humans said something very odd which made no sense to me, but which they seemed to find highly amusing:  'Joan of Arc challenged Caesar, watched by Alexander the Great and Cleopatra'.

No comments:

Post a Comment