Sunday 28 September 2014

Rooftops

Last night my sister and I went out for a run around on the upstairs balcony, as we usually do before the big bedroom door is closed for the night.


Joan was being a bit boring, just rolling in the dust and batting around a bit of old foam, and I was thinking of going inside again. Then I caught sight of something flying! I don't know what it was, but it was a lot smaller than me. I want to learn how to fly, so badly.

The flying thing was teasing us. It flew over our heads and I leapt to try and catch it. Then it flew off, over the roof behind the balcony. We play out there sometimes so I chased after it...


...and then I did something very silly.

I forgot where I was.

I forgot how important it is to have an escape path.

I jumped across a gap without thinking, and I landed on a piece of roof I had not seen before.

I looked around, but the flying thing had disappeared. But when I tried to get back, I couldn't do it. The gap was too big, the drop to the ground much too scary.

I explored for a while but it was lonely. I started to cry, I admit it. I heard my humans calling for me, and I cried a bit louder. They didn't hear me.

I was getting very scared, and feeling hungry too. I didn't know what to do.

Then I heard one of my human servants calling. I called back as loudly as I could, and he heard me. He had a magic light spot that he threw up to the roof, which I chased for a moment, but then he made it fly across the big gap. So I cried that I couldn't do it. I'm not big and strong enough.

It was a long time later, after lots of humans talking and calling, and I was crying in desperation by this time. Suddenly I heard my human's voice quite close to me, and saw his arm. I ran up to him, and he grabbed me. It wasn't very comfortable but I was so pleased to see him.

He spoke to me sternly and I tried to get down, but he carried me all the way home. Such a pity, as there were so many exciting things to see, and I thought maybe we could play hide and seek, but he took me inside and said it was bedtime.

I don't think I'll do that again. I hope I remember, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment